DescriptionFirmware Name: ExOS 18.104.22.1688
Release Date: December 17, 2012
Platforms: 2060, 2061, 4060, 4061, 5000, 6010, 6060, 7000, 8060, 10060, Virtual
Required Versions: 5.4, 5.5, 6.0, 6.1, 6.3.0 (or previous 6.3 BETA releases)
- After installing ExOS 6.3, it is not possible to roll back to any ExOS version prior to ExOS 6.0.2. It is strongly recommended to have ExOS 6.0.2 (or newer) installed on your system prior to upgrading to ExOS 6.3 .
- When rebooting into ExOS 6.3 following the installation, it is strongly recommended to use the "Slow Reboot" mode.
- A database upgrade is performed and monitoring reports may be unavailable for up to 10 minutes.
When upgrading to ExOS 6.3 from ExOS 5.5 or earlier:
- WAN Memory persistence will be lost due to changes in the underlying storage architecture.
- ARM objects are automatically upgraded to APS objects, however, all historical ARM data is lost. If you would like to keep records of your historical ARM data then it is recommended to generate PDF reports with this data prior to upgrading.
- Virtual Machine disk images will be lost due to changes in the underlying storage architecture. This only affects customers running virtual machines on the Exinda appliance such as Replify Software Client or Windows Server. Please contact Exinda TAC for a manual workaround.
- This upgrade is not supported. Please upgrade to ExOS 5.4 or newer first.
- Network Management Systems that use the Exinda SNMP MIB will need to be updated to use the new Exinda SNMP MIB after upgrading to ExOS 6.3.
Upgrading from V5 or V6 (appliances already on V5 or V6):
- On V5 or V6 systems with valid Software Subscription (SS), Hardware Maintenance (HM) or Premium Support (PS), navigate to System | Maintenance | Firmware Update and use one of the following URLs:
If you are running a release prior to 6.1 and your existing RAM usage, as seen on the "Monitor / System / Ram Usage" graph, is over 80%, then upgrading may cause your appliance to be pushed beyond its capabilities. Contract Exinda to inquire if a RAM upgrade kit is available for your platform before upgrading to 6.3.
Exinda 2061, 4060, 4061, 5000, 6010, 6060, 7000, 8060, 10060 (64-bit): Exinda 2060 (32-bit): The image can also be downloaded to your desktop and uploaded to the appliance. Downloading and installation may take some time. Ensure that the partition other than your currently booted partition displays the latest ExOS version: "22.214.171.1248 (i386) 2012/12/12" or "126.96.36.1998 (x86_64) 2012/12/12".
You must reboot the appliance for the image to install. Once the system reboots ensure that the status bar displays the correct ExOS version (188.8.131.528). If the old ExOS version is displayed it indicates a problem with either the installation of the new version (system will automatically fall back to existing version) or that the new version was not set to "to boot next" prior to rebooting.
Refer to the virtual appliance documentation specific to the hypervisor being used for instructions on installing and upgrading the virtual appliance images. Please update to the latest version after downloading the initial image. This can be done by clicking on the version string in the WUI header to go to the proper screen.
VMWare ESXi (64-bit):
Image Size: 10,752 bytes (10 kB)
http://updates.exinda.com/exos/virtual/vmware/v184.108.40.2062/Exinda-disk1.vmdk (optional, for offline deployments)
Image size: 624,108,947 bytes (595 MB)
Microsoft Hyper-V Download:http://updates.exinda.com/exos/virtual/hyper-v/v220.127.116.112/Exinda.zip
Linux KVM (kernel-based virtual machine):
32 bit image: http://updates.exinda.com/exos/iso/exinda-v18.104.22.1682.i386.iso
64 bit image: http://updates.exinda.com/exos/iso/exinda-v22.214.171.1242.x86_64.iso
A few things to note on the KVM image:
- The 32 bit VM needs at least 1G RAM
- The 64 bit VM needs at least 2G RAM
- You need at least a 50G HDD image
- You should use ÒvirtioÓ drivers for the NICs and HDD where possible
- You need at least 2x NIC ports (these will become the MGMT and AUX ports)
- Any more NICs need to be added in pairs (as LAN and WAN port bridges)
- This ISO should detect itÕs running under kvm and self-install
- Once installed, the host id will need to be added to the ldb in order to get a license
Customers using the Exinda AD client are advised to upgrade to the latest version of the client, 1.0.10, however, version 1.0.6, 1.0.7 and 1.0.9 are still fully compatible with ExOS 6.3. Release notes can be found here.
New Features / Improvements:
Ability to accelerate Microsoft SMB2 traffic.SMB (CIFS) and SMB2 Acceleration Object Cache
Ability to store complete files in cache.Content Pre-Population for SMB (CIFS), SMB2 and HTTP
Ability to pre-populate the SMB object cache and/or WAN memory cache by downloading files via CIFS or HTTP on demand or at a scheduled time interval.Time Savings Benefits Report
Demonstrate the amount of time acceleration of application traffic saved.WAN Right-Size Reporting
Display the percentage of time applications or application groups fall within a configurable utilization level.VC (Virtual Circuit) Level Connection Limiting
Ability to limit the number of TCP/UDP connections passing through a virtual circuit, with admission control.Asymmetric Route Detection and Alerting
Detection and alerting when network traffic is being routed asymmetrically.Layer 7 Subtype Matching
Ability to match on Layer 7 sub-type attributes:New Application Definitions:
- Application (dropbox, facebook, gmail, googledocs, gotomeeting, gottomypc, icloud, imessage, itunes, myspace, twitter, ubuntuone, yuilop)
- Bittorrent (plain, encrypted)
- eDonkey (plain, encrypted)
- SIP (unknown, msn, yahoo, vonage, oscar, gadu-gadu, oscar-video, yahoo-video, ichat-facetime, magicjack, audio, video)
- MSN (unknown, voice, file-transfer, video)
- Yahoo (unknown, voice, file-transfer, video, webchat)
- OSCAR (unknown, file-transfer, picture-transfer, voice, video)
- IRC (unknown, file-transfer)
- GaduGadu (server, file-transfer, voice, video)
- GTP (control, user-data)
- DirectConnect (hub, peer, adc-peer)
- Paltalk (server, file-transfer, voice)
- Skype (unknown, voice, out, video)
- Jabber (unknown, voice, file-transfer, video)
- QQ (unknown, voice, file-transfer, video)
- Meboo (unknown, audio, video)
- Orb (unknown, server, client, client-rtsp, client-rdt, client-wmv, client-wma, client-flash, client-flv, client-3gp, client-upload-download, client-rtp)
- MGCP (control, rtp)
- IPSEC (data, control)
- GoogleTalk (unknown, voice, file-transfer, video)
- Fring (unknown, voice)
- VeohTV (generic, flash)
- Viber (unknown, audio, im)
- MyPeople (unknown, audio)
- BlackBerry (unknown, encrypted, email, messenger)
Improved/Updated Application Definitions:
- AdobeConnect (Thin Client)
- ComodoUnite (VPN)
- eBuddy (Instant Messaging)
- Facetime (Voice)
- FiCall (Unified Communications)
- Goober (Unified Communications)
- GoToMyPc (Thin Client)
- IMO (Instant Messaging)
- JAP (Recreational)
- Label Distribution Protocol
- Mojo (Recreational)
- Skype Voice (Voice)
- Skype Video (Voice)
- SSTP (VPN)
- WebSocket (Web)
Layer 7 advanced subtype match
Support an 'advanced' subtype match for HTTP and SSL to allow matching on multiple combinations of the other subtypes.Storage UI to manage HDD disk allocation
Allows the redistribution of disk resources between services.ACL configuration for restricting Management Access
Restrict access to management services (telnet, ssh, http, https and snmp) to a specific set of IP addresses.Log a TAC Case Directly from the Appliance UI
Allow the creation of support cases and the transmission of diagnostics information directly from the appliance.
Summary Data now includes drill down capabilities
The monitoring database summary data has been extended in this release to contain all the data from the detailed records. This enables full drill-down even when detailed records are disabled. (Via the 'Setup -> Monitoring -> Detailed Records' option.)The detailed records are only required to allow earlier firmware versions to be display correct data and for some historical data.New appliances will have detailed records disabled by default as they are no longer required.