When looking at the Licenses tab in System > Setup, there are two fields showing the validity of the licenses currently installed on the appliance. These fields are Active and Valid. There can be times that the licenses installed on an Exinda are not Active and/or Valid, denoted by a red X in each of the respective fields next to the license info.
License is not Valid
The license expiry date has been set up with a date that has expired. This does not happen with sold devices. If the device is sold, the license works in perpetuity and will never become invalid. If a license has been set with a license expiry then there are three potential reasons for a license to show as not valid:
- The appliance is being tested.
- The appliance is sold but there are new features for the license (such as edge cache) being tested.
- The appliance is an RMA and the temporary license was set while awaiting the return of the faulty unit.
License is not Active
The license may not have expired (or has not been set meaning it is permanent), however, the host ID or the Serial Number of the appliance to which the license was installed does not comply with Exinda's records. This can mean the following:
- The wrong license is installed.
- A recently received device has an unexpected host ID. This can happen if an expansion NIC is inserted, or if the hardware has changed in another way.
Monitor Only Mode
There is an additional license mode called Monitor Only which does not allow the Optimizer to be turned on. While this license may look inactive or invalid, it is only due to the Optimizer status being turned off. Furthermore, the license will clearly state that it is a Monitor Only license.
If an appliance license shows as inactive or invalid, check and verify that the license information is correct for the device. If it is, and the license still shows as invalid, please contact Exinda Support for assistance.