This article provides steps to resolve the "serial main process terminated" error found in the log file. The serial main process terminates and respawns repeatedly.
When checking the interfaces in the Exinda dashboard, you notice that the admin status is up but the links are down and there is no traffic flowing through the interface graphs. This may be impacting all interfaces or could only impact one, such as LAN.
You have confirmed that the port switch light is on, and the cables are in a perfect state and properly connected to the device.
The logs might present the following errors:
Oct 19 12:01:01 Exinda-IPES agetty: /dev/ttyS0: tcgetattr: Input/output error
Oct 19 12:01:11 Exinda-IPES init: serial main process (18192) terminated with status 1
Oct 19 12:01:11 Exinda-IPES init: serial main process ended, respawning
Prerequisites: Access to the Exinda WebUI
- Check if the bridges have been enabled under config >system >network >IP address tab
- Check if the interfaces for other devices connected to Exinda are up.
- Check if the speed, duplex, and MTU between Exinda and the connected devices are matching. You can also enable 'Auto-negotiation' on both devices.
- Check if there is anything connected to the serial console port. If yes, please disconnect the cable.
- Disable and then re-enable IPMI settings on the device. Go to Configuration > System > Network and navigate to the IPMI section.
- Perform a hard reset of the device by removing the power cable for 15 minutes and then plugging it back on.
- Restart the device and check for the normal functioning of the interface links.
Check to see if the Exinda is now accessible.
If the problem persists (check System > Logging), it is likely a hardware issue (with the motherboard), and an RMA might be needed:
Open a Support ticket with a diagnostic file and a report for the date range that encompasses the issue (e.g. Last 24 hours). Also provide the support agent with your shipping address and contact details.
As per the information from the file and the report, an RMA process to replace your device may need to be done.
- The support agent will provide an EUC form and instructions on how to continue with the RMA.
<supportagent> Please use the RMA process for Exinda Appliances for further instructions on how to proceed with the RMA. </supportagent>