A basic PBR out-of-path deployment is depicted in the network diagram below. Deploying your Exinda appliance in this topology requires three interfaces on the router.
Basic policy-based routing
NOTE: All the traffic between the network components in the above diagram is bi-directional.
This article provides general information on how PBR works and how the requests are handled.
- The request to access a location on the Internet is made on a client computer.
- The request is sent to the router where the source and destination are analyzed and compared to the policy configured on the router.
- Based on the results of the analysis, the request is:
- Sent to the Exinda appliance for optimization, then back through the router to the requested destination.
- Sent directly to the requested destination.
For more information about basic PBR, see the following articles: